(Atlantic) Fire destroyed a home at 103 Cedar Street in Atlantic Thursday.
Atlantic Fire Chief Mark McNees said a passerby saw smoke coming from the home and called the fire in just after 4:20 p.m.
“When we arrived we had a fairly decent amount of smoke, a condition two I call it, coming out of the top,” said McNees. “We had a heck of a time getting to it because of the construction, it’s a turn of the century house, but once we got it down and we were looking inside it appears right now it may have been electrical in the wiring. We kind of located an area where it started. They had a space heater in there, it was not on, but it was plugged in, but right now it looks like wiring between the floor joists and the ceiling joists between the floors. It’s undetermined at the moment, but it looks like that may have been it.”
McNees said the whole second story of the home is destroyed and the lower level has water damage.
The woman who lives in the home was able to get out safely with her two children. Red Cross was on scene Thursday evening to assist.